The book of the pilgrimage of Israel.
NAME: Derived from the numberings of Israel.
AUTHOR: Moses (commonly accepted)
DATE WRITTEN: 1446-1410 b.c.
PURPOSE: To relate the discipline of the wilderness generation, delivered from Egypt, and its purging, in order to prepare its children for a victorious entrance into The Promised Land.
TO WHOM WRITTEN: The children of Israel.
MAIN THEME: Unbelief bars the entrance to abundant life, Hebrews 3:7-19.
KEY WORD: Wilderness.
KEY VERSES: Numbers 14:20-23.
SYNOPSIS: LEADING TOPICS AND EVENTS
The Old Generation (Sinai to Kadesh Barnea).
- Organization and legislation,—Numbers 1-9.
- Leaving Mt. Sinai,—Numbers 10:11-12.
- The mixed multitude loath the manna,—Numbers 11:4-6.
- The discouragement of Moses,—Numbers 11:10-15.
- The seventy elders appointed,—Numbers 11:16-25.
- The quails sent,—Numbers 11:31-34.
- The jealousy of Miriam and Aaron,—Numbers 12. See 2375 and 1.
The Failure at Kadesh Barnea (lost in sight of home: Kadesh Barnea to Transjordan).
- The sending of the spies and their report,—Numbers 13.
- The rebellion of the people and the curse pronounced upon them,—Numbers 14. The whole generation doomed,—Numbers 14:29.
- The events connected with the forty years wandering in the wilderness,—Numbers 15-19.
- The return to Kadesh-barnea, the sin of Moses, and the death of Aaron,—Numbers 20.
- The brazen serpent,—Numbers 21.
- Balaam, the mercenary prophet (see 333), and the corruption of Israel,—Numbers 22-25.
- The numbering of the new generation,—Numbers 26.
- Sundry laws concerning inheritance, offerings, feasts, vows, etc.,—Numbers 27-30.
- The judgment of Midian,—Numbers 31; the assignment of the land east of the Jordan,—Numbers 32.
- The cities of refuge,—Numbers 35.
- The smitten rock,—Numbers 20:7-11. See 1 Corinthians 10:4.
- The bronze serpent,—Numbers 21:6-9. See John 3:14.
- The cities of refuge,—Numbers 35. See Hebrews 6:18.
THE SEVEN MURMURINGS
- About the way,—Numbers 11:1-3.
- About the food,—Numbers 11:4-6.
- About the giants,—Numbers 13:33-14:2.
- About their leaders,—Numbers 16:3.
- About the divine judgments,—Numbers 16:41.
- About the desert,—Numbers 20:2-5.
- The second time about the manna,—Numbers 21:5.
PROMINENT PEOPLE: Moses, Aaron, Levites, Seventy Elders, Miriam, Joshua, Caleb, Eleazar, Korah, Balaam.
Thompson Chain Reference Bible.